Beanie for Michelle #2

My friend Michelle provided me with some yarn a few months ago so that I can make her a beanie. She gave me two different colors: Halloween looking orange and an autumn themed multicolored yarn. Both were worsted weight. I had made her one before with this same yarn but that beanie was a little small on her. I had plenty of yarn left so I decided to make one more beanie.

Materials used:
     -Two different colors of worsted weight yarn
     -Size 4 mm double pointed needles

Warning: My pattern writing abilities are not that great.
I have also added comments for myself to improve for the next time I want to make something like this.

Pattern Instructions:
-Cast on 92 stitches
-Knit 1 X 1 ribbing for 2"
     ~~2X2 ribbing would have been a better choice~~
-Stockinette stitch for 5.5"
     -I changed colors at random. I also decided the number of rows of each other at random.
     ~~Multicolored yarn looks kinda weird. Switching between solid colors would have been better~~
-Decreasing
-*knit 21 stitches, knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-*knit 20 stitches, knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-*knit 19 stitches, knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-*knit18 stiches, knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-knit entire row
-*knit 17 stitches knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-*knit 16 stitches, knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-*knit 15 stitches, knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-*knit 14 stitches, knit 2 together*repeat until end of row
-knit entire row
-Repeat until less than 10 stitches left
     ~~should have stopped when there was more than 10 stitches but less than 20 stitches to get a rounder             top~~

Beanie before adding a pom pom
Pom pom.
-I created a pom pom with the cardboard of a cereal box. I drew circle that was 7" in diameter and a smaller circle that was 3" in diameter. Cut along the 7" diameter circle. Then cut out the 3" circle inside the diameter. Here is a Youtube video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a03BTR3_3qg. After trimming I ended up with a 3" pompom.

I attached the pom pom to the top of the hat. I usually pull it through the hat with a crochet hook then tie the ends together and weave in the ends
Finished beanie. 
The beanie fits perfectly and it doesn't look too bad. It is a slouchy beanie if the ribbing is unfolded like in the picture above. If the ribbing is folded then it is a snug fit beanie. Success!

My inspirations: http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Bella_Striped_Hat__D11384220.html

Comments

Popular Posts