Successful convertible mittens

Yay! I finally made successful convertible mittens. The thumbs weren't some crazy size and the length fit just right. It only took about ten tries. The pattern I followed is called Convertible Fenway Mitts from ChemKnits. I've used this pattern multiple times before. I really like it because it's simple and you can use any cool mitten pattern and make them into convertible mitten. You all know that mittens are cute but useless when you need to do anything and everything (except just standing there). I didn't really use any cool mitten pattern here because I wanted to focus on the thumb. 

I used worsted weight yarn and size 7 dpns. 
     Cast on 24
     2X2 Ribbing for 1.5" 
     Round 1: knit
     Round 2: knit 11, add a marker, increase 1, knit, increase 1, add a marker, knit
     Then I knitted each row until right before the bottom of my thumb 
     Round: Knit until you reach the marker, increase 1 knit 3, increase 1, then knit the rest of the row
     Knit until you've reached what I call the thumb pit. It's like an armpit but for thumbs.
I have a thumb diagram so that people will hopefully understand what I'm talking about.
Labeled hand
Once at the thumb pit I put make the hole for the thumb.
     Round: Knit until you've reached the first marker, Take off marker, place 5 stitches onto waste yarn, cast                 on 1, take off second marker, knit rest of the row
Knit rows until you reached your knuckles then knit half of your round with a waste yarn for two rows. There are links below that explain this step in more detail. Then continue to knit like a normal mitten and finish the thumb. The rest can be explained in the links below. 

End result!
The mittens came out great. The mittens were a bit plain so I added the white yarn at the cuff. I just weaved the yarn through the ribbing and tied the ends together. This project was a big accomplishment for me because the thumbs came out right.

Links:
Pattern: http://www.chemknits.com/2011/05/convertible-fenway-mitts-convertible.html
YouTube video of pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqzq-8HHrQo

Comments

Popular Posts